Monday 5 September 2011

White Privilege

How did the privilege exercise make you feel?
           The white privilege exercise today was a very different and unique experience than any other exercise I have taken part in. It was very compelling and it made me think a lot about how I take the privileges I have in my life for granted the majority of the time. Placing me the furthest away from the base line where we all began as equals, the statements made and questions asked consequently made me feel lucky to have a life like my own, but also somewhat guilty for something I have no control over. One of the prompts that I felt was the most impacting to me was the question on whether or not your parents support you and tell you that you can be anything you want to be if you set your mind to it. The idea that parents of different races and social classes may feel that telling their children that they can succeed in whatever they choose to do is in fact deceiving never even crossed my mind before. In a country that stands on the belief that hard work and dedication will get anyone where they want to be, I had trouble comprehending this idea that it is not the same for everyone at first. The question of what can these parents say to their children truthfully and with meaning is one that I have been asking myself all afternoon. Is it kinder to be honest and admit that their children may not be able to do whatever they desire due to their race, gender, sexual orientation or social standing rather than simply comforting them with encouragement that is insubstantial? My parents have always been supportive of my dreams and ambitions and I have been lucky enough to never have even had to think about how my life would be if I were to have to motivate and support myself without the help of others. This exercise proved to me that there are things that privileges mask and that not everyone can get as far as they may want or deserve in our so called 'Meritocracy'.


Which of the four fears outlined by Robert Jensen do you have?
The fear that they can do to us what we have done to them is something that worries me. Time after time again it has been proved that humans are capable of doing terrible things to one another. Whites have had the upper hand but who's to say this won't change? Even though it was not us individuals who committed the terrible things to other races that our ancestors did in the past, we are still linked together as one, and can collectively be blamed.


Look at the “Daily Effects of White Privilege” list. 
(a) Pick the five effects that you feel you most take for granted. 
8, 15, 19, 20, 50

(b) Pick the five effects that you would be willing to give up.
31, 37, 10, 13, 5

1 comment:

  1. Good reflection Grey. It shows you are thinking carefully about this topic.

    You need not feel guilty about being overprivileged. Everybody deserves parents who believe in them, or access to culture and good schools, etc. Just make sure you do not "cash in" your advantages at the expense of someone who cannot, and make sure you are aware of your advantages.

    ReplyDelete