Friday 23 September 2011

The Racial Issue of Adoption

I think that the hardest issue we discussed today for me to take a stand on was the adoption statement:
"In cases of adoption, agencies should try to match the ethnicity/race of children and parents, instead of doing adoptions in a race-blind manner."
The principle of adoption is an amazing one, to give a child parents he or she never had is one of the best things I can think of our society ever doing. Giving parents a child they may not be able to have is another wonderful thing. This made me think about whether or not the adoption agencies should be race-blind when choosing children for adoptive parents. I think that they should be, simply based on the fact that adoption is to better the lives of the children and the parents, and if a parent cannot love their child despite their race or cultural background then maybe they should not adopt from a race-blind agency. I agree that it may be better to place children of definitive cultures with parents who want to continue traditions when they are raising their child but if there is no good reasoning for choosing a specific race of a child then I don't think it is fair for parents to make racial preference requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment