Monday 7 November 2011

Multiculturalism in the Lower School

1. What will you remember most about your visit to the Lower School? 


The kid's reactions and how they were so engaged in what we read will stay in my mind. They were very perceptive for 1st graders and they picked up on the negative and positive aspects of the story immediately. These children realized that it does not matter how we all look because being different makes the world interesting. 


2. How did your view about what "The Sneetches" was about (i.e. the messages) change after hearing from the children?


I didn't think they would pick up in the money abuse issue in the story but they did and it shocked me. I also didn't think they would be able to comprehend the message of The Sneetches so well, but they were successful in that too. I think that before I heard what the kids said about the story, I believed that it was simply about what is wrong and what is right but they made comments like it's okay if some of the sneetches are different because that's what prevents the world from being, as they said, "boring". 



No comments:

Post a Comment